Saturday, December 28, 2013

Scott continues to recover well. He is dealing well with the pain and is determined to be a great post-surgical patient. Today, he walked three miles (at different times throughout the day) and remembered to ask for help lifting things, even though it's not always easy to feel helpless. But he seems to not lose sight of the temporary nature of recovery. Each day gets a little easier.

So now that we're out of the hospital, I thought I'd share a few hospital experiences that made us laugh:

After the doctor gave us the good news:
Me: "So was the tumor not very sticky?"
Dr. McKenna: "It was sticky, but I brought my WD-40 and a chisel."

Soon after the doctor walked away after delivering the news:
Stacy: "I need him to say that WHOLE thing over again."

During a drug haze, Scott heard the nurses talking about his SCD (sequential compression device) to reduce the chance of blood clots.
Nurse: "Is there an order for SCDs?"
Scott: "I have an STD?!!?"

Waking up from a drug-induced haze:
Scott: "Where am I?"
Me: "Is that a philosophical question or a location question?"

When I saw him for the first time in recovery, Scott held his hand up in the shape of an L.
Me: "Are you calling me a loser?"
Scott: In a difficult whisper, "Love."
Me: "Oh, that makes more sense. I love you, too."

Walking the hospital halls with Monica and Eric, who were holding hands.
Me: "You and your honey and me and my honey out for a stroll."
Monica: "This is the best double date ever."

When Scott needed some help getting cleaned up:
Me to Eric: "Do you want to give Scott a sponge bath or should I?"

After discharge and arriving at my brother Chris' house:
Chris: "Should I give you a hug or should we just chest bump?"

And, lastly, on the drive up for the surgery:
Me: "Stop farting or I will quit trying to save your life."
Scott: "Sorry. It's the cancer."


7 comments:

  1. LOL!! You guys are amazing!!! Dropping by later today with fresh-baked cookies and zucchini bread (both'll be nutted and chippped).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just peed a little from laughing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just peed a little from your comment about peeing a little.

      Delete
  3. Love the highlight reel of quotes. :) So happy you guys are home and Scott is continuing his amazing progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to remember that line about blaming farting on cancer. It's a keeper! It's wonderful how you retained your sense of humor through all of this. Looks like 2014 is going to be a good year for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freakin' love this quote collection…..well done!

    ReplyDelete